The answer is yes. E-commerce marketers must pay close attention to a variety of e-commerce-specific factors, especially considering how huge this market has become. In 2015, e-commerce sales in the U.S. totaled $341.7 billion. As business owners know, any opportunity to enhance your click-through rate should always be taken. And with more than 3.3 billion digital shopping baskets being filled in the U.S. each year, it’s in every retailer’s best interest that as many people as possible are lured to their online checkout.
- Only 3 percent of the top 10 e-commerce pages have Google AdSense or Adlinks on their pages. So, as much as possible, avoid having ads appear on your e-commerce website.
- Across the top 10 Google positions, e-commerce pages have, on average, 70 percent more bullets per list than the overall benchmark. By doing this, product details can be more easily scanned by visitors, making the online checkout section easily visible without scrolling. So be sure to make good use of your bullets.
- In e-commerce, internal links are good. URLs on the first page of the Google search results have 70 percent more internal links than the overall benchmark.
- Across the top 20 of Google’s search results, well over half of e-commerce pages have an online store above the fold. This is more than double the overall average.
- Video plays a less significant role in e-commerce than for websites in general. Only 35 percent of e-commerce pages in the top 10 have embedded videos. If you do use product videos, keep them under a minute.
- The word count for e-commerce URLs in the top 10 is around 25 percent higher than the overall average. Keep this in mind when designing your e-commerce website.
- Most e-commerce websites that offer many products use filters. This is fine, but pay close attention to the URL parameters, as they sometimes cause “duplicate content” with Google.
Every business owner that has e-commerce on their website should be taking these points into consideration, along with general SEO strategies, when putting together their site. More details on mastering e-commerce SEO strategies can be found here: https://www.catalystdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/E-CommerceSEOStrategies-Catalyst.pdf